Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 2


We headed down to the North West Telegraph news office where I was expecting to see a heap of journo's working up a sweat, making phone calls, typing up articles and about 10 coffee cups on each desk etc. I guess I'll have to admit that's the stereotypical vision of any newsroom (or maybe just mine).....not the case in Hedland of course!
And by no means am I saying that there appeared to be anything BUT hard work going on. In fact, I find it remarkable that two journalists can put together a 40 plus page newspaper of quality standard each week - especially in a small place like Pt Hedland. If the challenge was ever thrown in my direction one day, I can only hope to be able to manage as well as these blokes do.

We discovered just how difficult it can be to come up with a sufficient number of stories each week in a small town, particularly during a quiet period like now (the Christmas holidays when many people tend to go away).
I also noted what they were saying about surviving as a journalist in a country town and the importance of being mindful of who supports you. Have to remeber that one!

Before leaving the office, we were assigned to head down to Cemetery Beach just after 6am to get a few nice shots of the baby turtles hatching. Can't wait! Not for the early rise part though.

No comments:

Post a Comment