Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 1

After struggling to wake up this morning (I'm blaming it on this ridiculous heat!), we set off to meet with Sister Joany who will be guiding us through the radio project we've been assigned during our time here.

I soon learned that she isn't just your average local; Sister Joany carries with her vast knowledge about the town, its history and its significance. I remember being a little ignorant at times when studying history in highschool, it wasn't exactly my favourite subject which explains why I never knew Pt Hedland was attacked during WWII. In 1942, two Japanese air raids caused major damage to the airfield. Amazing!
We continued our discussion and visited a range of topics about the town of Pt Hedland and a great deal of significant information (or advice rather) which will be of great use on our behalf as "non-locals".
I took a few moments to consider what we were discussing and began to realise just how many factors can contribute to lifestyle. I suppose it would be much more challenging for someone (much like myself) to leave the "city life" and move here to live. There are just so many things us city-dwellers take for granted; it's unbelievable.

Joan then took us on a tour of the studios of 101.3FM which is Pt Hedland's official community radio station. Arriving at the venue was a bit of a shock to me - honestly I thought we were just taking a scenic tour and passing by a couple of mini-sheds secluded in a car park. But when we stepped inside, wow! It was amazing. Everything was set up formerly like any other radio station I've seen. Very modern equipment and up-to-date facilities. Airconditioning at full-blast and the operating panel set up on the main desk; perfect working conditions. Oh and not to mention a diverse selection of music...very important for me!
We were then introduced to Wayne and Adrian who are in charge of everything to do with 101.3FM. A discussion on the codes of practice and broadcasting rights was also very handy as a quick refresher...you know for those 'just-in-case' moments.

Looking forward to starting work on our project which is titled "What Does it Take...?" and already some ideas have formed between the three of us which, I must say, is an excellent indication - the heat won't affect brain function!!! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment