Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Arriving in Pt Hedland


Sunday afternoon, roughly after 12pm and I was soaking in water. Unfortunately, it wasn't the waters of the beautiful Secret Harbour beach that I'm use to; I'm talking sweat! Highly attractive, yes. So this is what people were calling me crazy for when I mentioned I was coming here. I haven't visited Pt Hedland since March of 2004 when Cyclone Monty lingered along the coast of the Pilbara region, but I can assure you there is no way I've missed the extreme semi-arid temperatures along with a high humidity percentage of almost 80 (on some days).

Pt Hedland itself isn't a very big town. In fact, it's hard to believe this town is home to approximately 15, 000 people. You walk out along the streets and hardly anybody is in sight! The lifestyle here in comparison to the lifestyle of the city dwellers is completely different. I've already mentioned some of the horrors of living in the semi-arid region of Western Australia, but along with the heat and the sweating dilemma, geography is another factor. I think it's more the isolation factor for me. It's a mining town so many people here are working on a fly-in fly-out basis. The gender ratio is probably 90% male or something ridiculous like that!
No, no, it's not that bad.

Looking forward to starting my work experience as a journalist for the next 3 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment